Put Your Smart Home to Work
How your technology systems can keep your home safe this season
Throughout the year we strive to keep you abreast of the latest in technologies and trends. 2017 has seen the adoption of integrated voice control, amazing advances in LEDs, incredible strides in virtual reality and so much more! Our smart homes are getting smarter and smarter, but how can we use their features to make our homes safer? Here are some simple ways to put your home automation system to work, ensuring you and your family a happy, healthy and safe holiday season.
- Light it Up! Each and every deterrent counts when a would-be burglar assesses your home’s vulnerability. A well-lit home is your first defense. Use flood lights, landscape lighting, and motion-activated lighting around your entire home.
- Fake them out! Create lighting scenes that truly mimic your patterns while you’re away. Vary the sequences of interior and exterior groupings (including the tree and holiday lights), set lights to come on for short periods, select random patterns, etc. for a lived in feel. Control4 calls this random alternating of lights, shades and televisions Mockupancy™. We think that sums it up!
- Lock it down! If you’ve got a home security system, use it. If you don’t have one, call us. If you’ve got one and haven’t used it for a while, call us to schedule to check. Aside from deterring potential thieves, a monitored security system alerts first responders to fire and medical emergencies as well. And check that your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly.
- Lock it Up! Automated door locks (smartlocks) with integrated alarms and anti-pick shields add an extra layer of security and convenience.
- Keep an eye on it! Enhance your security system with cameras and motion sensors. Their presence alone is a great deterrent. You’ll be able to keep an eye on things while away and access recordings should any misdeeds occur.
- Download the App! Embrace the technology and use the myriad features available. They offer incredible convenience and peace of mind.
- Gate it off! Be cyber safe by updating your home network. We’re savvy to the latest potential threats and can help protect your home’s essential infrastructure.
- Pull the plug! Eliminate the possibility of having your garage door breached. Disconnect it from its power source on your way out.
- Resist the urge! We’re our own worst enemies. Don’t flaunt those beautifully wrapped gifts in the windows for all to see, hold off on that “Wish You Were Here” social post until you’re back home and break down the boxes that your new electronic toys came in to avoid curbside advertising of what’s inside.
Be smart and stay safe and healthy this holiday season. If you have any questions about home automation and its role in your safety and security, please contact us. We’re here to help. Wishing you and yours the happiest of holidays.